We are now our plan for the upcoming softball season. As you know, Softball MB just got approval to continue with a softball season as of June 1st. The league that we typically play in is a city league and they plan to start the week of June 15. We have decided that Springfield will not be participating in league play this year for the following reasons:
- Survey results did not provide enough confirmation of interest for a full season
- Games bring on additional guidelines/issues to manage
- Our decision to refund means re-opening registration, which will take time, and the league needs to know our teams by June 3rd. We cannot meet this timeline.
With that said, we understand that many of our players are still anxious to play ball so this is what we will be doing this season:
- Create teams based on right age group (LTP, U10, U12, etc) and assign coaches
- Run 1-2 practices a week from June 15 – July 31 (7 weeks, primarily on weeknights, in Oakbank)
- Scrimmage games if possible
- Option for Provincials for those teams that want to participate – Provincials are going to be scheduled for the middle 3 weekends of August
- Cost will be $100 for all age groups except for LTP which will be $80
- Sanitizing of balls and other guidelines will still be followed
For our U16 players – You are able to register for our season as well, but based on the likelihood of low numbers, your child will be placed on a U14 team. Alternatively if your daughter wants to play for a city U16 team, please email us and we can pass your information on.
Overall, we feel this approach gives families opportunities for their kids to play some ball, while keeping options open for camping and cottages on the weekends. Missing the competition is going to be tough, but focus on development will still go a long way in preparing everyone for the 2021 season!
The link for the coming season is below. Registration is only open until Sunday, June 7th. Late registrations will not be accepted.
Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.